Friday, September 22, 2017

Recap: Ring Masters


Hello everyone! By the time you read this, the Virtual Console release of Pokémon Gold and Silver will have released; as will Pokkén Tournament DX on the Nintendo Switch! In honor of this occasion, I thought I would do an episode that would be ideal for both games release: a fun Johto episode centered around sumo! It’s a kind of Martial Art, it counts! So, let’s open up “Ring Masters!”

We open on Ash, Brock and Misty being on their way to Olivine City; and the narrator says they’ve come across “intriguing little village!” When Misty asks where they are, Brock concurs from his guidebook that “it’s an intriguing little village, Misty!” Ha! Fourth wall jokes!









I have already spoken quite a bit about how much I like “Born to be a Winner” theme; so I’m just going to move on after I link to it for the umpteenth time.







It turns out that a man named Raiden (no relation to the Mortal Kombat character) is sparring other Pokémon with his Feraligatr under the tutelage of his sensei Shonosuke! As Ash scans Feraligatr with his Pokédex, Misty is in awe of Feraligatr! There’s my girl: still loving water-types like I remember her. 

Much like I pointed out in my look at the Deoxys movie, I am amused how this episode accurately depicts Feraligatr’s height in the Pokédex, using Raiden as a yardstick. It’s 7’7” standard, 2.3 meters metric.




It turns out that Raiden is training for the Pokémon Sumo competition, a type of battle where fighting with their mystical otherworldly powers is disregarded in favor of using one’s physical strength and skill. Raiden also was once on a journey across the land like Ash, before he decided to just focus on sumo full-time. I can relate: sometimes things don’t go like you expect, and sometimes what you end up doing with your life may be totally different than what you wanted at first.

Naturally, Brock and Misty are impressed; and Ash wants to enter the tournament himself! My exact words on the matter were that I don’t do “tournament arcs.” Informal tournaments such as this one are doable in the time I have.

Ash then sends out his Totodile to marvel at Feraligatr. While this series was the point where the franchise began tailoring itself more towards international audiences, to this day; if you know where to look, you can still find the flourishes of its Japanese origin. Amusingly, while Ash, Brock and Misty are clearly sitting inside the dojo with their shoes off as per tradition, they suddenly reappear when Ash sends out Totodile; and then back again.



However, Raiden tells Ash that even though most Pokémon are eligible; there is a weight limit of at least 80kg! So, Ash decides to quickly switch his shiny Noctowl with his Snorlax after a phone call to Professor Oak! I know the feeling: since I’m doing the Mega Melee as you read this, I know what it’s like to change up your roster for competitive play.


Team Rocket of course, has an ulterior motive at the weigh-in; especially when their “Miltank” hits the minimum weight right on the nose! It’s quite clearly Wobuffet in disguise, and Jessie and James are dressed as sumo wrestlers named “Jessiyaki” and “Jamisosoupi.” I wonder if they know Hugh Mann or Lee Lemon.

Anyway, when James asks why they’re going through with this plan, Jessie replies that she wants to win for once. Jessie than asks Meowth if he has any pride, and he replies that used to before he met her. That’s savage, and I always liked how salty cats can be in anime; or even ones heavily based on them.









Ash’s Snorlax weighs in, and Joy concurs that he’s qualified when the scale breaks. Once again, the weight in the Pokédex checks out. It’s 460kg metric, 1,014.1 pounds standard. While they almost miss the opening ceremonies, Snorlax is on his feet when the announcer says the magic word as a prize: one year’s supply of Poké Chow! 








Anyway, as “Miltank” faces off against Ursaring; not only does their plan go south when they’re disqualified for using Counter, but they’re sent blasting off by the other fighters! Nice try, fellas.




So, after that little charade, the tournament goes off without a hitch! Feraligatr wins against Golem, and Ash’s Snorlax makes short work of a Poliwrath!







Meanwhile, dejected their plan failed; Team Rocket decides to come up with a new plan of selling counterfeit Poké Print souvenirs! Even as James’ gloves disappear for a split second; I have to wonder how much of those might show up on Ashens or Phelous’ “Bootleg Zones” reviews.

Feraligatr’s next opponent is a Blastoise, who is incidentally favored to win! Also, that trainer in the dogi has shown up in a fair number of episodes as a side character. Guess it’s like a variation on the Black Belt trainer class. 




Raiden wins the battle, and now it comes down to just him and Ash! While I may not have a Switch yet, I am practicing on my Wii U copy of Pokkén Tournament for when I do get one. My main is Lucario, closely followed by Pikachu Libre. I can also appreciate the insanity of a Blaziken VS Chandelure matchup; which is one of the reasons I decided to do this one. 







So, while Snorlax’s belly may have helped it before, he starts taking a beating from Feraligatr! Since Snorlax’s strength is wearing thin, Ash decides to use its weakness! Snorlax’s blubber is used a different way to push Feraligatr out of the ring by exhaling! Now, that is the kind of silliness I love from the series. 



Ash wins the tournament and the King’s Rock, and sends Snorlax back to Oak after he eats all the Poké Chow. So, we close on everyone going on their way, and Team Rocket arriving too late to sell their phony souvenir Poké Prints! Well, I guess you could always try making Famiclone knockoffs of the NES Classic. 








“Ring Masters” is another great example of over-the-top fun from the days where the series could do whatever it wanted in a good way. In addition to some of the fight matchups being very nicely-animated; the silliness of the Pokémon Sumo concept is among one of the better pretenses for an informal tournament I’ve seen. It’s a wonder they haven’t tried to revisit this idea that often, especially since the Island Kahuna Hala in Sun and Moon has that as part of his fighting style! Couple that with a hammy referee and how a blubber butt like Snorlax can hold his own against a giant reptile such as Feraligatr, and you have an ideal episode for me to take a breather with.

Now, in addition to me getting the Virtual Console version of Gold and Silver as you read this, I am also going to see the new Kingsman today too. I am also going to be taking classes again next week; but I still want to make some more progress on my Pokémon movie marathon. Next time is my double feature recap of Pokémon The Movie Black: Victini and Reshiram and White: Victini and Zekrom! See you, space cowboy! 



No comments:

Post a Comment