Friday, September 15, 2017

Recap: Full Swing

My look at FLCL continues with the fourth episode, "Full Swing!"

We open on a baseball game, where Haruko has actually managed to bat home runs for almost the whole game! Despite the comments of Naota's grandfather; it's quite clear that in the absence of Naota's brother and the shadow of the Medical Mechanical plant, Haruko has made short work of things.










Much like in my look at "Ghost Nighter", Haruko gets numerous offers to join the major leagues; including these bedfellows in makeup and flighty accents. I'm not going to question anything, but I am going to play this song.







Haruko then compliments Naota on his "bandaged look," but I personally think it's a wonder nothing's broken! An earlier scene before the team drafted Canti showed Haruko beaning Naota so hard he was bleeding!






As the title card appears in the night sky, it's another opportunity to gush about this anime if everyone will be OK with that. I know I am.






Haruko also echoes Mamimi's words to Naota, saying that "nothing will happen unless you swing the bat." He later goes home to find Haruko and Kamon in a compromising position. I know there's a joke here, but I'm not doing it.

Besides, it gets even more sensual as it goes on; and the two are definitely "enjoying themselves," if you catch my drift. I never thought you could find an alluring way to eat fried eggs, but somehow these two did.


Then, we are introduced to Commander Amarao. Despite his demeanor and eyebrows made of nori, it's quite clear that the only real difference between him and Naota is age. It's also a theme I never noticed on earlier viewings: even if you get older, it does not automatically prepare you for the curveballs life throws you. Certain events over the past year (which I will not discuss here) have proven that adulthood does not automatically grant one knowledge, understanding or even capacity to deal with everything they come across. In spite of what others think, blaming a problem you have an external force is not the same is actually trying to confront it or fix it.






Also, despite his claims otherwise, he doesn't like the spicy bread any more than Naota.

That night, Haruko decides to help Naota with his batting. Despite his reluctance, this definitely helps the two of them develop; which will come in handy later.

Yet, Naota still seems reluctant to swing; and even Canti is helpless before Haruko's batting!


On top that, Amarao and Lt. Kitsurubami are tracking a satellite tied to the space pirate Atomsk
(pronounced "Atom-isk")!

Between all that and a Max Headroom-like clone of Kamon (it happens), is this actual line from Haruko: "Go ahead, stick it in!"

There are lots of innuendos in this episode, so to avoid trouble and save time, allow Mike, Servo and Crow to sum it up.

The satellite gets closer and closer to re-enacting Second Impact in Mabase, and the sequence of trying to get the town evacuated reminds me of the OVA film Dead Leaves. I've only seen that one a couple times, but it kicks all kinds of ass for similar reasons to this one.

It also turns out that Naota is the only one who can stop this satellite! Of course: the worst I had to deal with was strange feelings in my shorts, but as I said earlier; I submit this is a more on-point coming of age story than others I've mentioned. If I wanted to see talking "naughty bits," I will stick with Adiane the Elegant's mecha in Gurren Lagann; thank you very much.


As the satellite comes over the Medical Mechanical plant, just allow this exchange to show what happens as Haruko tries to pull a red thread out of Naota's head.

Naota: What are you doing?

Haruko: Just hold still! I didn't know boys still felt like this inside!

Naota: Don't touch me there from behind!

Haruko: What are you waiting for? Hurry up and pop it!


Naota: If I rush, it won't pop! Go slow!


Thankfully, this just results in an electric guitar being pulled out of Naota, despite what the dialogue implied.


Even Mitsurubami and the other officers are aroused by this, complete with nosebleeds! It seems that Medical Mechanical is like the antithesis of NERV, given how the two are vastly different in how they function under pressure.



Still, the shot is a sinker, and it takes help from Haruko to knock it out of the park and back into space!






Of course, the experience has left Naota tuckered out; and the episode ends with Haruko taking him home. As Kamon said, "she's not your typical housekeeper."





The preview for the next episode, "Brittle Bullet" is definitely a fun one; talking about how the filmography of John Woo can be both insightful and over the top at the same time. Given how much I love Hard Boiled and how many times I've seen Face/Off, I agree.





"Full Swing" is definitely a grand slam of an episode to mark the two-thirds point of the series if you'll pardon my joke (medicine I got for my back is doing a number on me). From both the perspective of an 11-year-old and a 25-year-old, it's the primary reason why I still have admiration for team spirit even as a non-sports fan. The animation and music are just bliss, and I am still enjoying this marathon.

My look at FLCL continues next time with "Brittle Bullet!" See you, space cowboy!


No comments:

Post a Comment