Saturday, September 16, 2017

Recap: Brittle Bullet

My look at FLCL is almost done, so let's continue with the fifth episode; "Brittle Bullet!"


After an opening showing a gunfight "in medias res," we see Naota and his grandfather watching a John Woo film; confirming Haruko's words last time. I especially like how the movie lampshades his affinity for doves (even if they're mistakenly referred to as "pigeons").




There's also a running bit where Kamon is trying to jump Haruko's bones while dressed as the various versions of Lupin III, and Haruko bops him with a spring-loaded boxing glove wearing nothing but a towel! (note: I have started watching Toonami's broadcast of Lupin III Part IV, and I'm enjoying it so far. I might recap it, but not right now.)


I also like this gag about Haruko offering guitar lessons while dressed like Elvis, in response to Naota walking in on her in a towel and telling her to get dressed.



After listening in on their conversation, Kamon again tries to make a move on Haruko; diving out of his clothes, but Haruko's glove knocks him on his heart-boxered ass! 





We then get our title card, and we're almost done with this marathon! This is also probably my favorite episode, so I will definitely gush quite a bit in this one as well as do it in the time I have.




After that, we're back to the proper opening of a gunfight already in progress; and even though Kamon's state of dress is going for Belloq, his demeanor is more fitting for Col. Klink.



Once again, Dr. Jones, there is nothing you possess that I cannot take away!




Even setting aside current events, Kamon definitely fits the kind of attitude that suits his outfit: acts intimidating; but they're really in some adolescent power fantasy based on total bullshit. It's why I don't take certain groups' protest of the new Wolfenstein seriously at all. The games first came out on PC in 1981, fellas: you're about 36 years too late to complain about it.


Next time, it will take more than children to save you!

Elsewhere, where Lt. Misurubami stands by with a railgun, Amarao is getting work done; and now we get the memetic South Park scenes. As it turns out, despite how closely tied the show is towards social commentary and skewering pop culture; the style of humor actually is quite popular in Japan, as is the show itself. It also kind of blurs the line of the style, given how ALL animation is referred to as "anime" in Japan, even stuff like The Simpsons and Scooby-Doo.

RESPECT MAH AUTHORITAH!




Seriously: this has me laughing as hard as the new premiere. In addition to this scene, something similar would be done for Panty and Stocking in a brief scene; complete with a "Chocolate Salty Balls" like song from Garterbelt, "Big Black Frankfurter." In addition to the new game, this scene kind of makes me want a Jim Bob.



I'm not your friend, guy!



The gunfights in this episode are crazy, but lots of fun; and Ninamori, Masashi and Gaku seem to have stolen a small truck. All the chaos probably would get a high wanted meter; but I guess they turned on the police strike cheat.





Actually, it turns out that they have part-time jobs, and Naota sends Canti out to get drinks again. Also, it turns out one of Mitsurubami's shots blew off her boots and parts of her clothes as she calls for backup!

I also like the image of Naota, since he kind of looks like Kenny McCormick; adding to the South Park theme.



After discovering that Haruko is posing as his hairdresser, Amarao and his men prepare to confront her in a Matrix-esque gun battle, even dryly remarking, "I'm an adult, I buy my own insurance and everything!"


Mrs. Haruharu.



The ensuing gunfight even rivals the church shootout in Kingsman for sheer craziness! There's just so much going on that I can't do it justice; but trust me when I say that I love this episode for how over-the-top the action is. I'm also seeing the sequel soon: not sure how they're going to top the first, but a gunslinging cowboy played by Channing Tatum is a good way to start.






At the 15-minute mark, Atomsk's latest threat appears as a hand containing hands of guns; and combined with the imagery of Canti and Mitsurubami's tattered outfit, it's as trippy as one of those music videos I used to watch when I was younger.






Naturally, without his eyebrows; Amarao is very much a reflection of many people during and since this anime aired: they act like they're prepared for anything, but they're so unprepared they wouldn't know a solution to their problem if it got retweeted to them.

Declaring herself "Daicon V," Haruko begins surfing on he guitar in a Playboy bunny outfit (it happens) as she starts shooting at the hand with a slingshot shaped like a guitar! Boy, I love this hobby sometimes.




Canti then pulls out his ace: a 1961 Gibson SG Zero, which is able to finally to stop the massive gunslinger!






With the battle over, Canti and Haruko embrace in each other's arms! I've done Seth MacFarlane enough: I can only imagine what Ernest Cline would do at this image.









The preview for the final episode, "FLCLlimax," kind of reminds me of Spike Spencer's riff on the finale of Evangelion. Haruko then asks what "fooly cooly" means. As I said before, it's like a euphemism for puberty.





"Brittle Bullet," much like the action films that influenced it, is a half-hour of high-octane thrill. I didn't even show you half the incredible action that was there, I love it that much. Next time, my marathon concludes with the final episode, "FLCLimax!" See you, space cowboy!

No comments:

Post a Comment