Friday, September 29, 2017

Recap: Pokémon the Movie Black-Victini and Reshiram/White- Victini and Zekrom

Hello everyone, and welcome to my double feature recap of the first Pokémon movie of the Best Wishes series, the pair of Victini movies! While this year has seen many twists and turns in my attempts to do this marathon, I have been wanting to do these movies for ages. In honor of the upcoming US release of "Pokémon The Movie: I Choose You," let's open up "Pokémon the Movie Black: Victini and Reshiram," and "Pokémon The Movie White: Victini and Zekrom!"

Since the films were released in a matter similar to the games, here is how the recap will work: I will point out differences as I see them, but definitely keep on the same page as the story progresses. The FLCL marathon earlier this month was a test run for this style of writing, which forgoes my usual style of copying and pasting notes from my computer's word processors. So, let's get started.


The "world of Pokémon" segment differs depending on which movie you watch, and I rather like how the filmmakers took full advantage of making each one with distinct differences in a similar vein to the video games they are based on. As for Ash still being 10: as I said before, if Harry Potter's actor is doing full frontal in a production of Equus, I'll take anything they can throw at me. On top of that, I bear Iris and Cilan no ill will as characters; and even though they do take some liberties with the game characters, I honestly don't mind. Overall, I still don't share some fans' disdain for Generation V; given how it introduced a lot of unique concepts that are still being used in the series today.

Our first major difference is with the opening battle, featuring the character of Damon: the Pokémon he mounts as a steed is the opposite of whatever one is on the marquee, and the setting is also different. The Reshiram film has him saving natives in the arctic, the Zekrom film has him doing the same in the desert.






While Damon's actions may be different in each film, his motivation as an antagonist is largely the same: he wants to return the Kingdom of the Vale to what it once was, which is actually not that bad. He definitely isn't as cruel as the villain in the Arceus movie, or as conniving as later villains such as Chancellor Alva. Admittedly, he's not as complex as N or callous as Ghetsis (factoring both the games and Episode N), but he is definitely a good fit for these films.

It also does not bother me too much that the dragons are telepathic either, nor does it mean anything that they bear resemblance to certain other "blue-eyes white dragons" or "red-eyes black dragons" from another merchandise-driven anime I really love. If they can breathe fire, shoot electricity and clip to my belt for easy storage; I can suspend disbelief like that.








After the opening sequence, we see Ash, Iris and Cilan on their way to a town known as Eindoak, in time for a festival celebrating the harvest.



 











Ash then rescues a couple Deerling from falling off a cliff, and thanks to help from an unseen Victini; he's saved from falling himself! It's like he grabbed a raccoon tail to make that jump.
















After going through an underground passageway, Ash regroups with Iris and Cilan at a castle known as the "Sword of the Vale," and Cilan begins to tell of a legend that will come into play later in the movie. Wouldn't be a Pokémon movie without building on the lore of what's given to them. The harvest also means the berries are at peak tastiness!



Ash then points out that he's "always hungry, and that's that." Now there's an archetype I can get behind. Lots of characters in this vein seem to enjoy food: Goku, Luffy, Natsu, Simon, Edward Elric: I can do this all day.





After Iris' stomach concurs, Cilan has made a box of macarons for them all to enjoy! Combined with some French vernacular, it's like an early tease for Generation VI. That's how a lot of game development works: you want to think about the future, you have to get started right away.





I also kind of like the bit as they head to the festival, where an unseen Victini shows that he likes Cilan's macarons as well! Oh yes: you have to love a guy like that. Definitely an ideal young man to carry Brock's torch.

Everyone meets with Damon, and the festival begins with a tournament battle as the opening credits roll to the Black and White theme; which I find to be a very underrated song. I know a lot of people disagree with me, but it's at least better than the theme to Chronicles.

Each film also has a different character with a shiny Pokémon: in the Reshiram film, it's a woman named Juanita with a Golurk, in the Zekrom film, it's her daughter Carlita with her Hydreigon.









There's even another appearance of the recurring little girl and her mother as Kunihiko Yuyama's credit comes up! Isn't that something?




Much like the Deoxys movie, this tournament is ultimately small potatoes in the plot of these movies, though I do find it amusing how Victini lends its power to Ash's Tepig and ends up totally wrecking a Samurott despite a type disadvantage.

However, when the same thing happens to Ash's Scraggy, Carlita gets suspicious. She even allows her Hyrdreigon to be beaten by Scraggy just to prove Victini helped! 






After drawing it out with one of Cilan's macarons, Victini starts acting playful on the see-saw! Another fun fact is that this is one of series' creator Satoshi Tajiri's favorite Pokémon! I will have to revise my favorite Unova Pokémon soon, but this symbol of victory will definitely be on the list.








After Victini bonds with Ash, Pikachu and the others; they all frolic through the streets of Eindoak!






However, a mysterious force field is keeping Victini from going beyond the borders of certain parts of town!

It also turns out that Damon is also Juanita's son and Carlita's older brother! Imagine that.

Their journey continues, and they're led along their way by a Drilbur and a Purrloin! I'm still not entirely sure what led to Cilan's fear of Purrloin. Guess it's kind of like Brock and Professor Ivy: the scenario is best left to the viewer's imagination, where it's sure to be more outrageous.


Even with a type disadvantage (and the comments of my associate SkulShurtugalTCG on the matter), Ash and Victini seem to be having fun in the pool.




So, they go to see the mayor, whose name is Mannes by the way; who tells more about Victini and the Kingdom of the Vale from a historical tome. One in a pop-up book format, no less!

The story goes on to say how the kingdom has a mysterious power known as a "dragon force" (I know I have a joke for this, but I'm saving it for later), and two princes that represented the heroes of truth and ideals that were key to the mythos of Generation V.


Bottom line, Victini bonded with the king until his death; and then he went into hiding for 1,000 years. OK, been saving this one for a while.


As Ash, Iris, Cilan and the other Pokémon are given berries by Victini, Mannes tries to warn Damon about how the "Dragon force" isn't meant to be used in this fashion and he should just accept why this happened for the People of the Vale. Damon, however, isn't dissuaded and still wants to return the Kingdom of the Vale to its former glory and its people to their true home! So, while the actions he takes to accomplish later on may not be the best course, he's definitely what is sometimes characterized as a well-intentioned extremist.



After seeing a vision of the king in a dream, Victini is able to tell Ash that he wants to go beyond the boundaries of Eindoak and see the ocean! Though it's late at night, Ash agrees to help Victini get there. Now that's what I like about his character: even for a Pokémon that could grant him great power, he's willing to help them! I will talk about this more as I do the remaining movies in this marathon; but I always like that quality about his character. As I pointed out before, even when other people or Pokémon make things difficult for him; he will do everything in his power to help them set things right.






So, Damon decides to set his plan in motion, using the Sword of the Vale and the "dragon force" to return the kingdom and its people to where they once lived! I'm still saving that joke for later, and you'll find out why soon.

Also, one of the psychic Pokémon that aids Damon is different in each version. In the Reshiram film, he uses a Gothitelle, and in the Zekrom film; it's a Reuniclus.


Despite the objections from Juanita and Carlita, the dragon force causes the Sword of the Vale to rise into the sky! OK, as I promised; I was saving this music for this part.


I also forgot to mention that Team Rocket's role in this movie is mostly inconsequential. It's a long story, but even though they have slightly more screentime than in Pokémon Heroes, they still don't share any scenes with the main cast to my knowledge. Again, they should fire their agent.

Also, the way Damon controls the "pillars of protection" just by waving his hands reminds me of the U-Force, one of the more gimmicky alternate controllers for the NES. Once again, AVGN has a fairly good summary of how lousy that toy is.


Just as Damos planned, the dragons are drawn to the Sword of the Vale!










As Mannes takes to the skies in an autogyro, everyone heads to the lower levels of the castle and try to find a way to save Victini and stop the land from falling into chaos as it did in the past! This finale is so dire and so silly at the same time, and I love it for that.

So, Ash decides to go ask the dragons opposite the ones on the marquee for help, and they agree! Reshiram represents truth, and Zekrom represents ideals. I also like how the visuals of each scene are distinct in each version: in addition to the camera angles, the lighting and color schemes subtly compliment each meeting. Reshiram is in red, and Zekrom in blue.








With the aid of the dragons, Ash makes his move to stop the land from falling into chaos!










No matter what version of the movie you're watching, the combination of Ash riding a legendary dragon and Damon's two-tone hair is just a bunch of cascading guitar riffs and pairs of skintight pants short of an '80s hair metal video shoot.


After landing back in the castle, Ash faces off with Damos as he aims to free Victini! While these may not be the best movies I've covered on this blog, the animation and battles prove that they're probably the most enjoyable ones I've done for this marathon so far, and I still have a few to go before the new one comes stateside. Much like the last one, I like how it takes its source material and makes a darker film from the show in a similar fashion to the 1986 Transformers movie or the first two TMNT movies.



With the "dragon force" spreading like wildfire, Reshiram and Zekrom tell Damon the only way to stop it is to place the Sword of the Vale in its original resting place! Well, that's convenient, and it's what he wanted anyway!

While the others are evacuated, the barrier has become unstable; forcing Ash and Damon to stay behind and stabilize the sword!


Damon falls off the side of the castle, leaving Ash to stay by the side of Victini and Pikachu as the air starts getting thinner and he starts to freeze! Even though he's bonded with his Pokémon to stay warm in episodes such as "Snow Way Out" (which I'm not doing, by the way); it's much tougher when you start leaving the atmosphere!

I'm not afraid of dying, anytime will do, why should I be afraid of dying?











The Praxis effect as the pillars are destroyed is also a nice touch, and I always like that kind of shockwave whenever it appears.

In both films, we close on Victini having one last macaron before he crosses the ocean as the Sword of the Vale is returned to its rightful place and peace is restored to the land! Good an ending as any, and I'm glad I was finally able to do these.




Of all the movies I've done so far for this marathon, I've enjoyed writing about these the most. I definitely wanted to get this recap done so I could prove that I haven't just been messing around playing games and watching Inhumans: would I have spent almost all week writing the recap for these if I didn't have some enthusiasm for it?

All joking aside, however, "Pokémon the Movie Black: Victini and Reshiram/White: Victini and Zekrom" are definitely among my favorite entries in the series, much like the video games that inspired them. With lots of splendid animation and surprising emotional weight, I am very glad that I have gotten to share my thoughts with you all even if all those misguided fools at Anime News Network didn't like them.

As I post this, please note that I have started taking classes again; but I still have plenty of content planned for the final quarter of the year from October onward. In addition to some material I have planned for Halloween, keep an eye out for my look at Pokémon: Kyurem VS The Swords of Justice! See you, space cowboy!

No comments:

Post a Comment