Saturday, September 30, 2017

The Next Top 13 Anime I will Never Recap.

Hello everyone. Well, since this month is winding down and Yo-Kai Watch 2: Psychic Specters has quietly launched (being overshadowed by Metroid: Samus Returns, the Super NES Classic and the Virtual Console release of Pokémon Gold and Silver), I still don't think I'll be tapping my backlog of episodes I'm considering just yet. Unless I hear anything about the third season or more toys, I will take a break from that series for a while. My plan for the third movie is still the same: me doing it will depend entirely on whether or not Yo-Kai Watch 3 is released in North America. I am also taking classes for the fall online, so I will have to carefully plan what I will do next.

In the meantime, I thought I would do a follow-up to my top 13 anime I will never recap that I did in 2015. I spent quite a bit of time compiling it, and I have a variety of reasons for adding to a list of more subject matter I simply do not wish to address. So, I present the next Top 13 anime I will never recap!

13. Any "Monster girl" or Maid series

This category covers two subject matter that hold no particular interest for me. I know both maids and "monster girls" are two character genres that have great popularity in some circles, but I personally never understood the appeal or the praise. A recent example would be a series that has both elements in one show: "Mrs. Kobayashi's Dragon Maid." Many people have hailed this as one of the best series of this decade, but I just don't see it. I also admit I'm out of my depth, but I'm from a school of thought that likes to slay dragons; not have them be my maids. This also extends to series centered around butlers such as Black Butler or Hayate the Combat Butler: I know many people enjoy shows about powerful manservants, but the only one in that category I enjoy is more active versions of Alfred Pennyworth. Many of the designs are pretty, but they're not my "type," if you get my drift.

12. Tokyo Ghoul

Even though I have quite a bit planned for October, this is one series that you won't ever see me cover. It's not just that I had mixed feelings about it replacing One Piece on the new Toonami, it's more due to the fact that it's another series I don't see the appeal in. Even with a live-action version, I simply don't understand the praise behind it. I admit that some of the artwork and fights are interesting (especially in the manga), but the story and characterization just don't do anything for me. My brother seems to like it, but to me; it's a similar reason why I prefer to watch crime stories that have some connection to me as a viewer. I mean, I typically find true crime stories about infamous people that captured a whole nation's attention more interesting than some throwaway ID fodder about a John Doe I've never heard of. Maybe it's just me, but I just don't find the characters here as interesting as ones in similar series such as Durarara. So, I'm going to have to pass.

11. Akame ga Kill

Similar to the last entry, I have no interest in this series even though my brother seems to like it. I have occasionally skimmed some of the episodes; but I'm not entirely sure what I could get out of it that others have. It just seems like a mishmash of genres and tones; and that's often a case where I never know what attitude I'm supposed to adopt as a viewer. Some people don't mind this, but it's not something I enjoy for the most part. Again, the artwork and some of the action scenes are interesting; but the story and characters aren't my cup of tea. I will have to pass on this one.


10. One-Punch Man

First off, I shall say that I don't hate this show; but I also find that it isn't the masterpiece many others tout it as. I also don't really identify with the mindset that immediately dismisses every hot new anime as "the worst ever," which is simply not true. I've covered much worse here, and I will look at far worse in the near future. On that same note, however; I just find it OK. Once again, the concept, art style and fights are interesting (especially in the manga); but I'm one of those people that finds it hard to watch a series that I find okay when everyone else gushes about how amazing they find it. On top of that, there are two series that I feel more inclined to do positive recaps of instead that I found more interesting: Mob Psycho 100, a series by the same creator; and My Hero Academia, a series with a similar premise; but significantly different execution. Even though I have been known to do positive recaps of works I enjoy, I tend to skew more towards giving MST3K/Rifftrax-infused ribbings to series regardless of quality.

9. Toriko

I admit that I like this series, but even with the premise of a man who hunts the food for restaurants and a young man who serves as an audience surrogate to a show that didn't need one; there's just not enough material for me to work with to create anything I would enjoy writing or you would enjoy reading.

8. Any version of Hunter X Hunter

I will not be doing this for a similar reason to Full Metal Alchemist or Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: while both the 1999 and 2011 versions of the series have some great artwork and fight scenes, I simply don't feel like I'm qualified to do the story justice. It's also a story that I don't think I'm fully capable of doing justice. It may not be a series that has the biggest fandom here, but it's got enough that I don't think I want to disappoint.

7. The 4Kids Version of Shaman King

Even though I enjoyed this show when I was younger, it's a similar case to One Piece: even with the circumstances behind it getting canceled, I have little desire to open this door again. Maybe there will be another adaptation one day, or at least another attempt at a more faithful dub, but as it stands; I'm moving on.

6. Later versions of Beyblade

This can generally apply to any version that doesn't feature the original cast members of Tyson, Kai and the other members that were on the show from the original series and its sequels from the mid-2000s (V-Force and G-Revolution). This is often a counterargument against using other characters in some series, since the characters in Metal Fusion, Burst and its numerous gimmicky spinoffs never really stood out at me. Even though Burst has characters that always wear puppets on their hands and a guy who always has a lollipop in his mouth, there's another reason why I can't work with the spinoffs. The earlier series had a sort of tongue-in-cheek self-awareness of the silliness of the premise and how deadly seriously it took its schemes and competition on spinning tops. With the new series, the tropes are being played entirely straight.  It's the same reason why I'm not a fan of Bakugan, and why I won't be doing this here.

5. Rave Master

This is another series that I didn't really enjoy when I was younger, and as a result, I barely watched it. It's also one that has a reasonable fan base, but nowhere near as many fans as Zatch Bell/Gash Bell. Even the manga didn't really interest me, but there is a good side to this. Hiro Mashima, the creator, went on to make Fairy Tail, which over the course of its run; proved to be more successful than Rave Master is or ever was. Even when I factor in the changes made to the anime, I never really cared for it on its own; and I have little desire to revisit it.

4. Digimon Tamers Movie: Runaway Locomon

Here's something that is often a point of contention among fans of Digmon; divided as they sometimes are. Even though I like this movie better than the one in 2000, it's even a case of division among the creators. While the same animators on the TV series worked on this one, the writers did not; to the point where they outright said the film isn't canon. In order to explain why, I will have to give some spoilers, so those who haven't seen any Digimon Tamers material may want to scroll down to the next entry or read something else. The movie takes place after the events of the TV series, which had a very bittersweet, but fantastic ending which had the Tamers engage in a dramatic final battle with their Digimon before they separated, and the plot deals with Rika still coming to terms with her father leaving her family when she was younger. In fact, she started getting into Digimon when she realized her father wasn't coming back. The train's call is even a song he used to sing to her when she was small. On another note, it's also the reason why I'm not doing the Digimon Adventure tri movies; but I will probably give you something on them once I'm done watching them. Overall, it's a film adaptation to a show I love that I don't feel capable of doing.

3. Transformers: Kiss Players

I know it's cheating to mention a manga here, but it still fits. I know I've covered a fair amount of Transformers anime and made many jokes about the live-action films, but there is nothing I can joke about here. Even the Transformers wiki where I look for information when I have to seems disgusted by the premise. The imagery and execution are far creepier than anything Michael Bay has done to the series, and even the Japanese creators at Takara/Tomy seem ashamed of it. Much like my no hentai/ecchi rule I set for myself last time, it just clashes with both Google's rules and my sensibilities. Doing this would be how an episode of Dateline NBC starts, so I am officially sending this pile of slag to a millennia of toil in the smelting pits in Kaon.


2. Danganronpa The Animation

Here is a series that has had an interesting journey on this blog. Even though I don't really enjoy this anime, it does have a rather large fandom behind it. Even though I originally intended to recap some of it in 2015, the incident in Roseburg around that time made me uncomfortable dealing with a series whose premise consists of high schoolers trying to kill each other and not get caught. However, upon watching it to see what I could do, I once again realized I have far more issues than I can fully explain in just one recap. I know it may be a bit bullish to do this right after a new game just came out, but I honestly stopped caring what other people think a long time ago. So, you can expect a list of my 13 Things Wrong with Danganronpa the Animation before too long.

1. Dragon Ball GT

After Dragon Ball Z ended its run, this anime was made largely without the involvement of Akira Toriyama; barring a few designs. He did not personally write or direct any episodes of the series, and now that it's been officially de-canonized by the movies that have been made as well as Super; which do have Toriyama's involvement; I can officially put this to bed. I am still contemplating doing a positive look at Super after I watch more of it (as well as the Resurrection of F movie), but to me; doing a recap of this anime now that the series is doing well again is about as useful as a Mayan calendar in 2013. Heck, even this supposed "apocalypse" last week had me watching Toonami till Outlaw Star came on to make sure it didn't.

So, that's more anime I will never look at here. I will do just one more list in the near future to close things out. I'm not Bobby Kotick, I don't want to keep milking this just because I can. In addition to doing the remaining Pokémon movies from the Kyurem movie onward, I have plenty of content in mind for Halloween; including a look at some stuff I've been planning for a while and some surprises. You'll just have to wait and see what they are. That's all for now. Bang.

No comments:

Post a Comment