Friday, December 28, 2018

Further Thoughts on Live-Action Anime Adaptations.

"As computer special effects get closer to looking truly real, the likelihood of seeing science fiction anime coming to the live-action realm goes up. ... but there’s so much more to anime as an art from than simply mimicking story and visuals; the hardest thing for a film to replicate, especially outside of Japan, is the inherent Japanese-ness of every aspect." -Kyle Anderson, Nerdist.com, "The Dangers of Adapting Anime Into Live-action."

Hello everyone. Well, seeing as 2018 is coming to a close and I'm nearing my retirement; I thought I would do one last follow-up on a piece I wrote last year about this subject matter before I tell you the decision I've made about what I will do next in 2019. For now, I will expand on some points I had last year before I detail what my retirement will mean for this blog in the future. So, I give you my further thoughts on live-action anime adaptations. 

First, while I haven't seen everything I'm talking about here; since some of it hasn't been released yet, I will mention ones I didn't bring up for frame of reference. Second, this is not a full recap or review of any of these properties or their source material; just some examples to illustrate my points. Let's get this started.

One adaptation that I was keeping an eye on was a live-action adaptation of the Fullmetal Alchemist series; which was a Japanese production that had series creator Hiromu Arakawa directly involved, to the point where she co-wrote the script. The film is faithful to a fault, and while many didn't like it even in Japan; I thought it was OK when I saw it after Netflix bought the international distribution rights (common misconception: Netflix didn't produce this movie as others erroneously claimed, they merely bought the rights to stream it after most theaters outside Japan passed on it). It's OK visually, it does hit many of the key moments from the source; and I personally don't think the acting was as bad as others said. As for the "cosplay" criticism: it still has nothing on the infamous shlockfest "Samurai Cop" for my money. I guess in a year that had the awful live-action Ghost in the Shell and the hilariously-bad Netflix Death Note, just showing basic competence is a step in the right direction.

On that note, buying the rights to the live-action drama version Mob Psycho 100 was also met with mixed results for Netflix. I haven't seen it yet, but I will keep an open mind as well as keep the different medium in mind. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and Bleach, even in Japan, were intended as potential trilogies; but ended up being box office flops even in their homeland, scuttling those plans.
I also remain cautiously optimistic about the live-action One Piece and Cowboy Bebop adaptations, which will have direct involvement by their respective creators and lots of money being invested in production. The early casting call is also making efforts to avoid the "racebending" controversies many of these adaptations have been dogged by.


Another adaptation that I wasn't aware even was one was the film "Kite," based on a hentai of the same name. Obviously, I've never seen the source; but even as a rental on a whim, it didn't really make that convincing an argument for more adaptations. Yet, that hasn't stopped the industry from continually proving the old saying, "insanity is defined by doing the same thing multiple times and expecting a different result." At the very least, the adaptations are looking less like chintzy, low-budget messes and more like snazzy, big-budget messes. This brings me to a follow-up on the movie that inspired me to write this, "Alita: Battle Angel," based on the anime and manga series of the same name.




Seeing the trailer during my second viewing of Star Wars: The Last Jedi; I was unimpressed by the first glimpse to say the least. Since then, the film has had its release changed twice (the film was originally slated for July of this year, then December before its most recent change); and is currently scheduled to open on Valentine's Day 2019. With around $200 million being spent on the movie and much more on what's already a massive marketing campaign, there is a very good chance they're going to take hemlock if the film can't beat out low-budget counter-programming such as the Rebel Wilson comedy "Isn't it Romantic" and the Jason Blum-produced horror sequel "Happy Death Day 2U." At the very least, the film could be in the same ballpark of the likes of "Sucker Punch" and "Jupiter Ascending": despite all the talent in front of and behind the camera; it's a bit of a mess, but a pretty mess regardless. Though some are holding out hope, it has a lot of the same red flags Ghost in the Shell had in 2017. I am still not convinced, and not just because of how Rosa Salazar is rendered. The android parts of Alita and the other characters look fine, but the facial expressions and the way they move look like they came out of one of my old PS2 games. 

So, despite the best efforts of the crew; the bulk of these adaptations are currently still in the same boat western comic book movies were in and video game movies are in; which brings me to my next subject: Pokémon- Detective Pikachu!



Though I wasn't sure what to think when I first heard the news about how Pikachu and the others would be rendered in realistic CGI, I am pleased with what I've seen so far. It's definitely an easier change to swallow than recent live-action versions of "Transformers" or "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles," and a vast improvement over turning Goombas from walking mushrooms into Stormtrooper knockoffs. The filmmakers also pointed out that this is logistically easier to start with than diving right into the main games or the anime (though they do influence the style and tone of the movie from what I've seen). Though I've yet to see official figures for the budget, this movie definitely looks expensive. The risk is still the same for any video game adaptation: ever since the infamous 1993 "Super Mario Bros." movie, the code has yet to be truly cracked. Though I don't know how the film will do (nor the live-action "Sonic the Hedgehog" in November 2019), the skeptic in me is concerned; but the believer in me is hoping they'll pull it off.

I still have the same mindset that I held last year about what can go wrong, so it bears repeating: when people are put in charge of something they don't understand and refuse to admit it, the results can be disastrous.

My finale of this blog will still be "Akira," and that adaptation has remained in the development hell ever since the original's release thirty years ago. One director who is thankfully no longer attached to the project infamously not only declared his disdain for the material, but claimed there were no compelling characters of any kind in any Japanese fiction. Personally, if you feel that strongly about the matter, maybe you shouldn't be involved with that kind of production. I'm not saying you should stop making movies, but I am saying that maybe handling it in general isn't for you.

Be that as it may, Taika Waititi ("What We Do in the Shadows," "Thor Ragnarok") is now handling the project, and he intends to cast unknown Japanese actors in lead roles, especially as Kaneda and Tetsuo. Moreover, Katsuhiro Otomo will have final say on anything that's done with the movie. Both developments seem to be a direct swipe at the claim referenced above.

So, I remain hopeful that the industry will one day be able to get it right. I may still be skeptical about several planned mecha adaptations (Evangelion, Voltron, and Robotech to name a few), which also remain in development hell as of this writing. I also have my doubts about the Mobile Suit Gundam film, based on the failures of G-Savior and Dragonball Evolution. Again, I'm seeing a lot of liberties being taken with the source material; and I don't even know what continuity the film will follow or if they'll start a new one. Sure, we may have better special effects and bigger budgets than what G-Savior had, but my main concern is the script. These are just a few of the reasons why seeing the mech in Ready Player One ironically made me LESS excited for the movie finally getting made. As 2019 will mark the 40th anniversary of the franchise, I will not give the project one iota of attention unless I see or hear anything about production moving forward officially. Barring anything I've brought up or still in development (I could go either way about My Hero Academia, to be honest), it's clear that both Alita and Detective Pikachu will be make-or-break films for any future live-action adaptations. Unless there's a clear indication that effort is being made on future projects, these adaptations will keep failing for the same reason why McDonald's doesn't serve foie gras: it's not their area of expertise and it doesn't contain anything their target audience would want. Bottom line: I'm skeptical, but also cautiously optimistic about these and other future adaptations I did not mention here.

As for me: after my recap of Akira, I will be formally retired for the most part; with the bulk of content being posted on some of my other blogs as follows: Steven Writes Stuff, The Nexus, and a new blog to shift the Pokémon content to. I have decided to stick with the Blogger format rather than learn a new one, since that's what I am used to. The blog will be entitled "Pokémon: Gotta Watch 'Em All," and I will link to the new domain here once I have it up and running. It will be much different from this blog, but similar in other ways. For the most part, I will be focusing on finishing my degree and finding work; and this will shift to a "whenever I can" basis for posting as a hobby. I will also be re-editing much of my existing content here, so those who want to see the original forms will definitely need to have archives ready. I leave you with these words: you cannot stop the future, for it has already begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment