Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Top 13 Best Anime-Influenced Animations.

Hello everyone. As one of the final "Top 13" lists I have planned for this blog, I thought I would do something that I've been wanting to ever since I started, and to prove to some unnamed parties that I have no use for certain words that start with "W." Besides, if I really was, I highly doubt I'd be making repeated references to Rifftrax and Mystery Science Theater 3000 even in my waning days of this blog. However, I digress: let's open up my top 13 best anime-influenced animations!

13. Kappa Mikey

Sorry, Suede: I can't say that I agree with your dislike of this series; but I do have some other stuff from the same studio on my worst list planned to counter this. Personally, I rather liked how the show painted a story of a character animated in a Western style co-existing with anime styled characters in a fictionalized shonen series; which actually had several anime voice actors playing roles that are self-parodies of their other roles, least of all Sean Schemmel. Though it didn't last too long, the Christmas special was a surprisingly emotional take on the "It's a Wonderful Plot" storyline. I won't spoil it if you haven't seen it yet, but you'll know what I'm talking about when you do.

12. Teen Titans (2003-2005)

When I first saw this when I was younger, it stood out at me among other DC superhero cartoons at the time. Straddling the line of the American comic book style, key influences on the story and visuals included the works of GAINAX (notably "FLCL") and the Japanese tokusatsu series "Generation Kikkaider." Though I may not share many others' animosity towards the reboot series, I do admit this crossover they're working on sounds interesting and I would be open to a revived season on Adult Swim; or even this new streaming platform DC is rolling out. I also won't be including the reboot on my worst list, since I have much worse in mind.

11. The Transformers (1984-1987)

As the first of many animated adaptations of Hasbro's beloved action figures; this was definitely the foundation for any future adaptations. As it turns out, much of the series was actually animated by Toei (Dragon Ball, One Piece et al,); and the influence is often most notable on the angles, lighting and the way the characters move on the action scenes. The best examples of this can be seen in the 1986 movie and many animations seen in some of the later toy commercials. The whole franchise has been a great example of a western mecha series; and that continues today. Even though I was born in 1992, I can definitely appreciate the series and what it means; as Bumblebee may finally be the live-action film I've been wanting the series to be for years.

10. Thundercats (2011)

Before animated TV reboots became commonplace, this relaunch of the 1985 Thundercats was definitely a standout among the later days of serious action cartoons before the genre shifted online for the most part. While there was also the same marketing push as the original, I definitely enjoyed how the story had a greater focus on character development and darker plots. The animation was produced by Studio 4-C, and though the show didn't resolve its hanging plot threads; I still hold out hope that there might be a revival one day. No, what they have planned next year doesn't count: though I bear the creators no ill will; I don't feel like addressing the reboot, I'm personally holding out for a revival for digital streaming or at least on Adult Swim, kind of like another entry later on.

9. The Spectacular Spider-Man

With Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse out this season, looking back on this unique take on the web-head is a great reminder of how many unique animated adaptations we've had over the years. This may be the first one I saw growing up that had more overt trappings of anime influence in its story and artwork; and it also wasn't the last. Even with the short run of the show thanks to Disney's purchase of Marvel, I will still enjoy this show as I have for many years.

8. The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes

This show imbued distinctly American comic book heroes with a look and feel that draws from anime as well as Sentai teams; and I'm also glad the stories were also every bit as satisfying. With the recent passing of Stan Lee, while the man may be gone; what he left behind will last forever. Excelsior, old friend.

7. Megas XLR

Yeah, you knew this was going to be on the list. Though the show didn't last long, the ending was at the height of its popularity; leaving me wanting more of this fusion of Japanese mecha and muscle cars in a small town in Jersey. The show was rife with homages to anime, video games and countless other nerdy pop culture staples; and any show that has Bruce Campbell voicing a recurring villain is all right with me. Though legal issues are preventing a revival at this time, I also keep holding out hope they'll be worked out and I can see Megas rev its engines again one day.

6. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles franchise

This will collectively include the numerous animated TV incarnations of the franchise; including the latest, currently airing "Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles." In their own ways, the TV cartoons have all straddled a fine line between the visuals of American superhero comics and Japanese anime. Once again, Toei animated a lot of the 1987-1996 series; most obviously in the original intro and first season. The 2003 season, which drew more influence from the original comic; had an Akira reference in the intro alone with Raph's motorbike, and it got increasingly more influenced in the later seasons of the show. The 2012 series had some of the most obvious influence, and I really enjoyed how it made use of the style over the course of its run. Though "Rise of the TMNT" may at times rival Batman Forever for the amount of neon colors it has, I am interested to see where it goes at least.

5. Star Wars: Clone Wars (2003)

Of the many animated adaptations that the Star Wars saga has seen over the years, this one is easily one of my favorites. Genndy Tartakovsky (Dexter's Laboratory, Hotel Transylvania) managed to bridge the gap between the events of "Attack of the Clones" and "Revenge of the Sith" with this stylish action series that in many ways; is better than I remember it. While Filoni's version grew on me over time, I loved Rebels and am keeping an open mind towards Resistance, this will always have a special place in my heart.

4. Batman Beyond

While I knew at the time that Batman: The Animated Series would be tough to top, this stylized take on the saga accompanied many an episode of Pokémon when I was younger. Looking back, it's arguably a more faithful Western remake of Akira than many of the pitches we've gotten so far, especially in the case of the Return of the Joker movie. This Far East, cyberpunk-infused take on Gotham City is a dream for anyone who loves the dark side of the DCAU; and it's a great show to revisit after all this time.

3. Star VS The Forces of Evil

One of the newest entries I have on my list, this currently-ongoing Disney animated series is a great Western-made take on the magical girl genre that only seems to be getting better with each passing season. The blend of Disney's usual aesthetic with anime-influenced color palettes and storytelling definitely makes Star Butterfly a great American counterpart to Sailor Moon.

2. Samurai Jack (2001-2004, 2017)

When a show this good only makes the second spot on my list, you know it was tough for me to work on given how long I've been drafting this. The title character's long journey back to the past to save his homeland from the dark wizard Aku is a fantastic series that further shows Tartakovsky's appreciation for the medium. Though I was among many who had been waiting for years to see the series' conclusion, the 2017 revival was well worth the wait as a longtime fan of this series.

1. Avatar: The Last Airbender

An easy choice for me, but I knew ever since I was drafting this list that it still held the top spot for me. As my favorite Nicktoon ever, this is something I do agree with Suede on. Even with 10 years having passed since the finale, I definitely appreciate how Mike and Bryan knew what they wanted to do for the story and set about doing it. The infamous 2010 film did little to deter that in my eyes, and I am definitely keeping an open mind to the plans Koneitzko and DiMartino have to reboot the live-action version. As for Korra, before I get to my honorable mentions: I do enjoy the series and am working on finishing it; but this is another one I can give to Wayne's World: "Kind of like Star Trek- The Next Generation: in many ways, it's superior; but it will never be as recognized as the original."

Now, here are some honorable mentions before I do my worst list, in no particular order: The Legend of Korra, Voltron Legendary Defenders, Voltron Force, and The Real Ghostbusters. See you, space cowboy.

No comments:

Post a Comment