Sunday, December 23, 2018

Recap: The Professor's New Adventure

"I think that inside every adult lies the heart of a child. We just gradually convince ourselves that we have to act more like adults." -Shigeru Miyamoto

Hello everyone, and welcome to my final Pokémon recap before my look at this year's movie! It's been fun over the years, and I thought I would definitely look at one last episode of the Sun and Moon series to help celebrate #1000EpisodesOfPokémon. So, let's open up "The Professor's New Adventure!"

The episode begins, as they sometimes do, with Lillie writing in her journal about the events of the story so far. As she reflects on the events of the past few days; she prepares for her return to the Pokémon Academy with Snowy.

I must also note that the theme song, "Under the Alolan Moon" has a "Smooth R&B" sound to it; which nicely contrasts the upbeat "Under the Alolan Sun" theme and the Japanese themes we've had so far for this series. Have a listen for yourself, and I thank my associate The World of Kevin C for the HQ rip of it.




Upon Lillie's return to the Pokémon Academy, she is welcomed back by everyone; and they also are reflecting of the events surrounding the last few days with the journey inside Ultra Space. Lusamine has also taken some "Mental Health days," as while she didn't go quite as crazy as she did in the games; she was definitely out of it with that Ultra Beast.



Elsewhere, Professor Kukui is also reflecting on what is coming next; but he has something else on his mind. This is going to follow up on what I said in my previous recaps, and you'll find out why in a moment.



After class is dismissed for the day, Kukui and Professor Burnet are walking home in the sunset by the beach; saying that they've known each other for a very long time, and have worked together a lot recently. Here it comes!



While in the games, Kukui and Burnet already were married; here, they've built up to it when Kukui asks with a Pokémon wedding ring (which is real, by the way): "May I choose you?"


Burnet says yes, and the news excites Rowlet so much that he breaks the camera! I have always enjoyed the fourth wall jokes in the series before, and the redesigned art style is definitely perfect for them.



While Kukui and Burnet don't plan to have a ceremony, the students start planning a surprise for Kukui and his new bride-to-be; and they have to keep it under wraps! This leads to some great facial reactions from everyone, with my favorite being Ash and Pikachu's expressions. 

This promotion for Pokémon Quest is very strange.


So, as everyone helps arrange food and entertainment for the ceremony; Ash takes a walk on the beach with Pikachu that night; when he comes across Gladion. He declares his intent to take part in the island challenge; and to one day battle Ash again. I don't know what to expect for the Alola league; but just in case, I'm putting 50 quatloos apiece on them both, just to hedge my bets.


The next morning, Kukui is woken up in his laboratory by Rowlet's Peck attack, and Ash announces he has a surprise for him! He rushes out the door to see his wife, ready to share her life with him!

The two walk down the aisle on the beach and the ceremony is overseen by Samson Oak! I thought a long time about which episode I wanted to end my coverage with before the movie this year; and a wedding is always a classic way to end something. 


As for their beverages' color and container shape being changed; once again, I submit changing a glass of champagne into a glass of sparkling cider is simple; and understandable. I refer you once again to the TFS Roshi and his magic drink.



Now, the bouquet toss comes, and naturally, the one to catch it is Olivia! She's definitely more excitable than she is in the games, but it fits for this version.




It also turns out Faba has been effectively demoted to Wicke's assistant based on what he's done, more or less down to cleaning the bathrooms or getting her coffee. However, as Solgaleo can be seen in the sky, one of the last things we see are the students being recruited to being the "Ultra Guardians" to help defend the Alola region from the mysterious "Ultra Beasts." So, we close on the image of one such Ultra Beast coming through the wormhole, Poipole! Even knowing what lies ahead, this "Adhesive" beast is another one of my favorites from Generation VII.


Poipole will return in Spider-Man: Far From Home.



"The Professor's New Adventure" is an episode that I'm very satisfied to help conclude my coverage with and celebrate #1000EpisodesOfPokémon. While not everyone has had the same reactions to it over the years, I guarantee that no series makes it this far if absolutely no one still likes it. The animation still is a lush treat, and I'm glad that I've gotten to share my thoughts with you all over the past six years. Next time will be my final Pokémon recap for this blog, "Pokémon The Power of Us!" See you on Christmas Eve, everyone. Be excellent to each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment