Friday, December 21, 2018

Recap: Seeing is Believing

Hello everyone. Well, with my work on Code Geass R2 complete, I thought I would finish another anime I started this blog covering: Pokémon Advanced Generation. I had originally intended to do this episode in November 2016, but I postponed it until now to rework it.

As I have stated before, the model this anime has is just more related to how kids are than any genuine fault with it. Your experiences are different no matter where you began, and that was exactly the case for me in those days. I really enjoyed Kanto and Johto when I was younger, and I had mixed feelings towards Hoenn when it first started. While I have warmed to it as time has gone on, there are still some episodes I just don't really care for, and there are ones that others seem to enjoy; such as today's subject. As one of my last AG recaps before retirement, let's open up "Seeing is Believing." ... I'm not going to be making many friends for this one, I can already tell.

The episode opens on Professor Birch, who is doing field work on Dewford Island; joining Ash, Brock, May and Max for breakfast. To be honest, this plot thread isn't too bad; and I honestly wouldn't mind if it were the main focus. Sadly, as I'm about to tell you; that is not the case.




After meeting the new Pokémon and the intro, we get our title card, which is one of the least accurate titles since "The Amazing Spider-Man" and its sequel for me.

I don't believe it, not for a minute!


Now, we regrettably get the main plot. Normally, I could just dismiss this episode as filler, but I can't this time; since it revolves around the branch evolution of Wurmple. James tries to tell Jessie she has a Cascoon instead of a Silcoon, to no avail.

This is a Silcoon, change my mind.

I planned to do this before, and now I can explain the main problem I have with this episode.

Depending on training methods, Wurmple evolves into Cascoon or Silcoon; then into Dustox or Beautifly.

That is one line in my notes; and the episode proceeds to beat this joke into the ground like stale breadcrumbs. It's also one of several plot threads going on this episode; and I also lament they're choosing this one instead of the thread about trying to find a new habitat for some Seedot; which I find more interesting.

The one part of this episode I do find kind of funny is the boss fantasy of what Giovanni might do with the Seedot.

Wake up early LIKE A BOSS!

Do calisthenics LIKE A BOSS!




Thank his minions LIKE A BOSS!

Yet, as the two plots intersect, now the real shit begins. Jessie still insists she has a Silcoon even when the professor tries to tell her otherwise. I'm sorry, who's the man who's dedicated his life to studying these creatures and who's the Pokémon Tech washout/bike gangster who once confused Edison and Einstein? As I said before in some of my Yo-Kai Watch recaps, that's the fatal flaw with basing a comedic episode around one joke: if you personally don't find that joke funny, the whole thing falls apart. Happens in any situation, really.

Sure enough, May's Silcoon evolves into Beautifly and sends them blasting off, as Jessie still demands one herself! Yeah, that's about as likely as Hell freezing over and a pig flying by my window on the day Mother 3 officially gets localized (apparently Itoi wants to release it on the Switch as much as me and others want to play it, so it could happen one day).




Hanging from a tree branch by a cliff, James and Meowth lament the potential wrath of Jessie's hammer if she finds out the hard way about Cascoon. That's the worst case scenario, but it's more likely she could enjoy having a Dustox; and I will explain more later.


As for Jessie asking about what her comrades are talking about: there is no way she didn't hear James and Meowth when they're that close unless she's somehow gone deaf.




While Birch and the others continue searching for a new habitat for all the Seedot, Jessie continues training her Cascoon and demanding it be a Beautifly. Fuck that- Jessie, I love you; but sooner or later you're going to have to face the fact you're a goddamn moron!

Everyone meets up for another battle, but since in this version; you can't just tap the B button to stop the evolution, James just throws a bedsheet over Cascoon and Meowth poses as a Beautifly, much to Jessie's chagrin.


Mike Nelson: Oh look! It's not every day you see the stupidest thing you've ever seen!


Jessie then pulls the sheet off to reveal that her Cascoon has evovled into a Dustox; as Professor Birch finally is able to get across what he had been trying to tell her all along. I once again refer you to Red Forman on the matter.

"The reason bad things happen to you is because you're a dumbass."


James and Meowth then brace for the potential hurricane, but Jessie loves her new Dustox; even as they're sent blasting off! See: I told you, and it would also be a big partner for her entering contests well into Diamond and Pearl! 



So, we close on a new home being found for the Seedot; and Professor Birch heading back to the lab as he bids everyone farewell for now. 



Of all the AG episodes I've covered here, "Seeing is Believing" is the one I found the least bad. It's mediocre in the "a-plot" with the branch evolution, but compared to "The Bicker The Better," "Love Petalburg Style"  and especially "A Double Dilemma," the "b-plot" with Birch at least salvages things somewhat for me. I guess my favorite characters have always been the professors or researchers. A similar episode from Johto I prefer is "Type Casting:" even if you knew what type Sudowoodo was like I did, there was more variety in what the monster did and how the researchers behaved; and I found it more amusing as a result. As I've spoken before, the main criteria for any comedic story is if you personally find it funny; and I don't in this case. This is also thankfully the last episode of Advanced that I'm panning, the last couple I'm writing about are ones I actually like. That's all for now. Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment